Pages

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility / Regina Coyula
Posted on September 2, 2013

Translator's note: At the end of this post is a video (without
subtitles) of the State Security operation around Estado de Sats during
the event Regina appeared in (shown in the above photo). It is this type
of operation that she is referring to in the opening lines of her post.

It seems the Estado de Sats setbacks will become an ordinary thing:
discouraging apocryphal messages, intimidating operations, unnecessary
detentions. They are trying to prevent Estado de Sats from achieving a
quorum, by my impression is that it has come to stay, satisfying a need
not met by any institutional space, however open it pretends to be.

Invited to speak about self employment, I shared the panel presented by
Antonio Rodiles with the journalist Orlando Freire and with Antonio
Ocampo and Francisco Valido, engaged in private dining and transport
respectively.

I believed that my foray as an "expert" on the topic would make me
nervous, but not at all. A relaxed air connected with those present for
more than two hours. Questions, opinions, laughter, and in the end, more
questions and many compliments.

I had the pleasure of meeting in person a Cuban who lives in Spain whom
I already knew virtually. All would have been very fine except for
several people being prevented from coming.

At home, after breakfast, I undertook (or took on) the kitchen. A
thorough cleaning, of the kind not done every day, in order to put the
ego in its place, to remind myself that it's not about speaking well on
a panel, that I continue to be one more citizen.

Viedo:
http://youtu.be/5teUDeXNX3g

Translated by mlk

2 September 2013

Source: "Sense and Sensibility / Regina Coyula | Translating Cuba" -
http://translatingcuba.com/sense-and-sensibility-regina-coyula/

No comments: