Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Ex-political prisoner threatened with seizure of his farm

Ex-political prisoner threatened with seizure of his farm
CUBANET

HAVANA, Cuba, Oct. 30 (Roberto de Jesús Guerra, Hablemos Press /
www.cubanet.org) – Former political prisoner Ángel Frómeta was ordered
to appear in court Monday to prove that the 125 acres he inherited from
his father legally belong to him.

A commission from the Agriculture Ministry recently visited his farm and
threatened to confiscate it until he produced a title. When he refused,
he was cited to appear.

"I told them that I am an independent farmer from Santiago de Cuba who
belongs to a cooperative and whose land was inherited from his father,
so they're mine," he said.

"They insulted me to provoke me," he said. "I told them that if they had
a document authorizing the confiscation of my land, to show it to me,
but they didn't reply."

Frómeta grows plantains, coconuts, mango, beans and tomatoes on his land.

Ex-political prisoner threatened with seizure of his farm - Cuba
Dissidents - MiamiHerald.com (30 October 2009)
http://www.miamiherald.com/1447/story/1308343.html

No comments: